- Drink Bourbon (the National drink of men who went to college in Virginia - excluding Mason, Mary Washington, Georgetown, American, GW or any DC).
- Will pick Country music more often than Pop or Rap (admittedly including Friends in Low Places and David Allen Coe).
- Boxers often seen @ or below hem of Shorts, worn year round.
- Somewhere between refined and Sloppy Preppy -- just enough of a hint at being dressed (see UVA and W&L style) to differentiate from the Abercrombie crowd who wears Flip Flops all year round.
- Not the NY effeminate preppy "style" (see photo right, and run for your life).
- Car is a hand-me-down from parents (nice but aging - old Lexus SC, 325i, etc) or Toyota SUV; not a the Jersey Broncos, or Explorers, or the NC/SC/GA pick-up trucks.
- Good beer, and slight beer-gut emerging.
- Rolex is the only jewelery, HS ring is at parents' main house in Lexington; will add the college ring, and then wedding ring. No earrings, no shells, no dog tags as seen on the imitators.
- Many are the truly accidental preppies whose families own the bank, car dealership, insurance agency in their Western town in VA,
- Though there are imitators, the authentic ones are confident, not belligerent, and are leaders.
- Use ma'am and sir.
- Goes to church with his girlfriend (& her family when visiting), but not above doing morally questionable acts in pursuit of campus girls.
- Yes, there is corn hole and beer pong.
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
In defense of the Accidental Virginia College Guy- distinguished from the much maligned Southern Frat Boy
Heading out to college football this weekend, tailgating, encountered the Virginia College Guy(species: "pueri erunt"). Below I have distinguished these future gentlemen from the much- maligned Sloppy Southern Frat Boy: